About This Blog - MOTCS

Random Musings Pertaining to Music and Pop Culture

Monday, May 10, 2010

I Hate Mondays: But I Love illiterate California Gurls

So a new single pops up from Katy Perry... you thought she was a one album wonder? Just look at the colors!
You can't reject colors like those seen below!
it's like fruity pebbles, and LSD, and Betty Page!

"California Gurls" [are illiterate]
Listen to it HERE



well the song... It's fun and pop-ish and features Snoop Dogg
While I enjoy the bouncing beat, and the fun summer sounds... I am still slightly disturbed by Miss Perry's phrasing which can often sound as if she is uncontrollably vomiting her lyrics... when she wails "Oh-oh-oh-oh" it reminds me of all the baby seals that had to be clubbed to death to make me that coat [that I wore once and got bored of.] However I like the flow of the song... honest-to-gaga it's nice to take a little break from Euro-pop.

Most memorable lyric "melt your pop-sickle" ... Melt??? Melt! oh Katy Perry you really don't know how to play sexy mad libs. "California Gurls we'll [verb] your pop-sickle..."

While the song is fun (and rumored to be a tongue-in-cheek response to empire state of mind), it is important to remember: California Gurls have no souls...and they basically all look the same... and Cali has a really bad high school illiteracy problem.

So Miss Perry throws her hat into the ring for:
SUMMER ANTHEM!
Competing against Train's "Soul Sister"

Wait! That's totally not the soul sister they are singing about, huh? I missed the message of the song.

No comments:

"I do not know if you remember the tale of the girl who saves the ship under mutiny by sitting on the powder barrel with her lighted torch and all the time knowing that it is empty? This has seemed to me a charming image of the women of my time. There they were, keeping the world in order by sitting on the mystery of life, and knowing themselves that there was no mystery."