About This Blog - MOTCS

Random Musings Pertaining to Music and Pop Culture

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Life and Times of a Job Hunter: Part I

I type 55 milliliters per fortnight...Quarterly!


One Hurdle I encountered on my journey for a better Career was the typing speed question...

If you are under the age of 21 you are so indoctrinated with technology you can probably type and text fast enough to scare most humans and alien races. For most of us typing is a way of life, it's just something you do daily... whether you are catching up with high school friends on facebook or cyber-bullying that girl you hate into becoming bulimic; you are enchancing your typing skills!

So imagine my surprise filling out applications that asked simply: How fast do you type? in Words Per Minute?

I wanted to respond, I type 55 milliliters per fortnight!
How do I calculate that? Is there a setting somewhere on my computer that has logged my typing prowess?

How to test your typing speed (Free and easy... slightly fun): TypingTest.com will allow you to test youself over and over to see how you measure up.
  • The tricky part of this thing is the paragraphs you have to type up... they are highly impractical as far as typing is concerned, but they do distinguish between actual typist and people who can have just mastered common conversational typing.
  • There is a typing games section that will allow you to have fun and improve... We like fun right?
  • For those of you who want to gain a competitive edge, they give you a certificate to add to your resume package for: $9
How to get better at typing/online typing instruction: Peter's Online Typing Course!!!
  • It's a free and interactive way to learn how to type more efficiently minimizing how often you look at the keyboard.
  • I played around with it for a while and I liked it. It's basic and direct... I have to admit I was a little mad about the fact that kept buzzing at me with each mistake

No comments:

"I do not know if you remember the tale of the girl who saves the ship under mutiny by sitting on the powder barrel with her lighted torch and all the time knowing that it is empty? This has seemed to me a charming image of the women of my time. There they were, keeping the world in order by sitting on the mystery of life, and knowing themselves that there was no mystery."