About This Blog - MOTCS

Random Musings Pertaining to Music and Pop Culture

Monday, October 26, 2009

There's something about GiGi Gaston

I give this gallery opening a 5/5 I fell in love with the artists vision and found the quantity along with the quality of Josh Gosfeild's work to be breath taking!


JOSH GOSFIELD

GIGI Gaston: The Black Flower



Steven Kasher Gallery
521 West 23 Street
New York, NY 10011
212 966 3978


There's something about GiGi Gaston! Could it be the fact that she is completely made up!
Like never existed! Kinda like Tom Cuise's sanity!!

Her life story is told from discovery to the end... I won't let you know what happens!
but
I'm a fan, I went through and followed her career (which is told through 60s-70s memorbilia) and by the end I found that GiGi won my attention, heart, and at the end she won my sympathy.
JOSH GOSFIELD has brought to life a fictional Marylin/Twiggy-esque 60's Icon. With about 5o pictures you can dive into this world, a world that once valued GIGI and ached to know her every move.


It's amazing that an artist can imagine a person and create a life for her, it really makes me wonder; Is your existence governed by who looks at you and how they view you?
I dunno!
but I love the way this show is presented > she even has a music video and a documentary with interview footage.

Here is the official write-up:

Exhibition: October 22 – November 25, 2009

Josh Gosfield has assembled the definitive archive devoted to the 1960s French pop star Gigi Gaston. Gigi’s music and the spectacle of her tragic life riveted the public through the 60s and 70s. The exhibition documents her life and loves with archival photographs, posters, record covers, magazine and newspaper articles, a music video shot by Jean Luc Godard, documentary footage, and assorted ephemera. We see her Gypsy family’s escape from Bulgaria, her affair with her stepbrother, her first guitar, her rise up (and fall down) the charts, the car crashes, funerals, love triangles and the murder trial. All this played out in a garish media spotlight before the insatiable eyes of her public.

The exhibition will feature over 50 oversized prints -- limited edition archival digital prints featuring Gigi. The largest prints are approximately 40 x 60”. Accompanying the exhibition is a magazine compilation of Gigi graphics, in an edition limited to 125 signed copies.

In fact Gigi Gaston did not exist. Her persona and all her documents are the fictional creation of Josh Gosfield working with the aid of actors, stylists, make up artists, and Photoshop. This exhibition can leave you wondering if Madonna exists. How do you know?

No comments:

"I do not know if you remember the tale of the girl who saves the ship under mutiny by sitting on the powder barrel with her lighted torch and all the time knowing that it is empty? This has seemed to me a charming image of the women of my time. There they were, keeping the world in order by sitting on the mystery of life, and knowing themselves that there was no mystery."