About This Blog - MOTCS

Random Musings Pertaining to Music and Pop Culture

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Bonfire of the Vanities

So the book that has tormented me most recently is this book; The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe (Publication date 1987) 700 pages, could've been edited to 500!

I finished it the other day at the park in the short spell of good weather that we had in NY.
So I've been reading this book on and off for about 3 months and I really think it came down to... it didn't intrigue me. It started slow and had a few random draaaaaging points.

So now that I've finished what I started, I will watch the movie, which was made in 1990 and was considered a FLOP! A BIG FLOP considering the casting:


  • Tom Hanks as Sherman McCoy (Tom Hanks was in everything back then)
  • Bruce Willis as Peter Fallow (I only like Bruce when he makes things go Kaboom!)
  • Melanie Griffith as Maria Ruskin (I never liked her, and now she's dead *just kiding)
  • Kim Cattrall as Judy McCoy (Kim Cattrall is Mad OLD!)
Hopefully the movie won't annoy me or make me kick the television!

I can't wait to share what I'm reading next ;)

No comments:

"I do not know if you remember the tale of the girl who saves the ship under mutiny by sitting on the powder barrel with her lighted torch and all the time knowing that it is empty? This has seemed to me a charming image of the women of my time. There they were, keeping the world in order by sitting on the mystery of life, and knowing themselves that there was no mystery."