About This Blog - MOTCS

Random Musings Pertaining to Music and Pop Culture

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Life and Times of a Job Hunter: Part VI... Till Retirement Do Us Part

Hello Jobless Masses!!! I hope you're ready for your Virtual Valium, a little mental snack cookie to hold you over until you get the job of your schemes!

I've recently learned a few interesting job facts on my quest for the perfect enjoyable overpaying career;

Looking for a job can be like finding a soul mate. When you look for a job think about the phrase: TILL DEATH DO YOU PART

(if they don't fix the whole social security mess that's probably how long you will be working.)
...so it may not be till death, but do you really want to do it for ~20 years?


1. It's ok to say no!

It's like a bad date... you go out, find yourselves to be utterly incompatible... why continue when you know it's a bad fit? Why not say goodbye, and go "play the field." If you're in talks with a job you think isn't for you... Go with the cold feet thing. Be a runaway bride when it comes to a job that won't satisfy you.

At this point in my personal quest I am not hearing back from the jobs I want but at least I know what I'm looking for. Luckily I'm in a position that keeps me from settling for something I know I don't want. I have had a few companies call me on some bullshit! And I have no problem saying, "Thanks for considering me, but No Thank You."


2. You will most likely spend more time at your job than you will spend (in waking hours) with your spouse.

You're spending 9-5 at work 8-6 with travel time included
You go to bed around 10-11
That left you 4 hours for your significant lover...Yes child, your spouse is a part time job.

So which do you take more seriously? The chances of a marriage "working out" are around 50%... So basically you have searched and sifted in order to get into a situation (marriage) that could spit you out in a few years, with half of the assets you have acquired.

I'm not really commenting so much on marriage as much as I am your career choice... why not take the time to find the right job opportunity. Even if you have a job already, nothing stops you from collecting your check and still going home to search for greener pastures. Let job hunting be your mistress, and when you find what you're looking for... leave for the better situation.
Or just be happy with what you have... knowing that nothing better is coming and that this is the way it will always be... and when you have a brood of you're very own jobless masses... you'll be jealous because they will use you as an example of the life they DON'T WANT!

No comments:

"I do not know if you remember the tale of the girl who saves the ship under mutiny by sitting on the powder barrel with her lighted torch and all the time knowing that it is empty? This has seemed to me a charming image of the women of my time. There they were, keeping the world in order by sitting on the mystery of life, and knowing themselves that there was no mystery."